Chebulic myrobalan (Eng.)
- Haritaki- Means one which is originated from Hari's (God's) home or
- Which is green in nature; here green stands for faith and fertility. Or
- That carries away all the illnesses from the body
- Abhaya- That makes a person fear free from all the diseases and discomforts
- Pathya- Means it is an all time good herb for everyone
- Amrita- Means it is like nectar for the body
Lt. Name: Terminalia chebula- Combretaceae
What Hindu text says about origin of the plant:
It is said that when Indra (king of deities in Hindu text) was drinking nectar in heaven, a drop of the fluid fell on the earth and produced Harad.
How to identify the Haritaki fruit with you is good or not:
The good fruit will go to the bottom of the glass having water in it.
- Rasa (Taste)- Harad contains all the six tastes except the Lavana (salty one)
- Guna (Characteristics)- Laghu (Light); Ruksha (Rough)
- Veerya (Potency)- Ushna (Warm)
- Vipaka (Post digestion effect)- Madhura (Sweet)
- Prabhava (Special action an herb works which cannot be explained on logical parameters)- Tridoshahara (Pacifies all the three bio humors)
Home Remedial Uses of Haritaki Powder in Ayurveda:
- Deepana- Haritaki ignites the digestive fire making even micro nutrients available to the body
- Medhya- Medhya means which improve
- Rasayani- It is one of the unique Ayurveda herbs to possess five tastes (Harad possesses all the six tastes except salty). This is the reason it is one of the best Ayurvedic herb for rejuvenation and nutrition
- Chakshushya- Harad itself as well as a combination as Triphala is one of the best Natural Supplement for eye health
- Bruhamni- Bruhman means to increase the bulk of the body. Harad corrects the digestive system; proper working digestive system will help in proper nutrition of body. So Harad is one of the best natural remedy for weight gain
- Anulomani- Means it is having the property to digest the undigested Malas (Removable wastes of gastric system) and expel them out of the body through anus. Harad is recommended as the best natural remedy for constipation.
- Ayushya/ Vayasa sthapani- Ayushya means which increases the longevity and Vayasa Sthapani stands for an anti aging Ayurveda herb. Harad delays the signs of ageing as well as increase longevity.
- Paushtiki- Poshan is again concerned with the nutrition for the body. Harad is the best Ayurvedic herb for nutrition
- Lekhani- Haritaki scrapes out the unnecessary deposits and toxins out of the body. So it is an ideal Ayurvedic herb for weight loss. Here we can see that Hartaki helps both in weight loss as well as weight gain; these might appear contradictory. But it is not so. Actually Harad is useful to maintain healthy body weight.
- Hrudya- Harad is the best Ayurvedic supplement for heart. Harad powder should be taken in routine to ensure proper working of heart.
Besides this Harad Powder is also useful in management of respiratory discomfort, cough, urinary disorders (including Diabetes mellitus), hemorrhoids, skin diseases, edematous conditions, assimilatory disorders, chronic fever, vomiting, hiccough, heart diseases, jaundice (And other liver and spleen disorders) renal stones and anemia.
Health Benefits of Haritaki Powder in Ayurveda:
- Haritaki Powder has proven gastrokinetic effect i.e. it helps in moving the contents of stomach earlier. So it can be used after surgeries and as adjuvant with other drugs that interfere with gastric motility as antihistaminics, atropine like drugs.
- One compound Chebulagic acid from Harad Powder has shown antispasmodic action like that of Papaverine.
- Harad Powder can serve to act as an effective alternative to modern prokinetic drugs like metaclopramide.
- Gallic acid and its ethyl ester, isolated from Terminalia chebula, displayed potent antimicrobial activity against several bacteria, including methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus (Sato et al 1998). A crude extract of Terminalia chebula is reported to have potent and broad spectrum antibacterial activity against human pathogenic Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria (Phadke and Kulkarni 1989).
- Harad Powder is reported to have antiherpes simplex virus type 1 activity (Kurokawa et al 1995). Haritaki showed a significant inhibitory activity on the effects on human immunodeficiency virus-1 reverse transcriptase (el-Mekkawy et al 1995).
- A water extract of Terminalia chebula was found to have an antifungal activity.
Precautions to be taken while taking Haritaki Powder:
Harad Powder should be sparingly used in the lean individuals, severe debility, while fasting, mental depression, and vitiated Pitta conditions and in pregnancy.
Useful part of Haritaki:
Doses of Haritaki:
Powder- 3-6 gm
Some combinations of Haritaki Powder in Ayurveda:
Triphala churna; Abhayamodaka; Abhayarista; Abhayamodaka; Chitraka Haritaki; Agastya Haritaki; Danti Haritaki; Pathyadi curna; Pathyadi vati; Pathyadi kvatha; Vyaghri haritaki; Gandharva haritaki etc.
Best Recommended Uses of Haritaki Powder in Ayurveda:
- If taken after meals Haritaki Powder prevents imbalance of any of the humors due to bad food or drink.
- Harad Powder maintains the balance of all the three Doshas. When taken with Lavana (Rock salt) it pacifies the aggravated Kapha, with sugar the Pitta and with Ghruta (Indian clarified butter) the Vata.
- Harad Powder gives different results according to the mode of taking i.e. when chewed it ignites the digestive fire, when taken after making a paste it ensures the timely evacuation of the feces and when taken after roasting it balances all the three Doshas.
- According to Charaka, the most eminent Ayurvedic physician, Haritaki is the best fruit for rejuvenation and disease cure.
- Haritaki is the drug of choice for rejuvenation for all the seasons. This is called as the "Ritu Haritaki". In rainy season it should be taken with Saindhav (Rock salt), in autumn with sugar, in early winter with Shunthi, in late winter with Pippali, in spring season with honey and in summer season it should be taken with Guda (Jaggery).