- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Ayurveda suggests that the nose is the gateway to the head. Thus, nasal herb therapy is used for healing diseases of the throat, neck, head, and senses (e.g. ears, nose, eyes, etc.). Nasya is also used for toning and strengthening these areas. Nasya is helpful in head diseases caused by Kapha (e.g., stiffness, numbness, heaviness). Saturating Nasyas are recommended for Vayu disorders (e.g., facial paralysis, trembling head). Pacifying Nasyas are useful for internal bleeding and other Pitta head and neck disorders. Snuff is suggested three times daily in the rainy, autumn, and spring seasons when there are no clouds in the sky. Snuff is said to improve vision, smell, and hearing; keep hair from greying and falling out; prevent stiff neck, headache, and lockjaw. It is also said that snuff relieves chronic rhinitis, and head tumours. The veins, joints, ligaments, and tendons of the skull gain greater strength. The face becomes cheerful and well developed; the voice becomes more melodious. Nasya herbs include Bala, Vidanga, Bilva and Musta. They are made into an oil decoction with various other ingredients.
General benefits: - Nasya is useful in many disorders including:-
- Relieving stiffness in the head,
- Neck arteries,
- Throat, and jaw obstructions,
- Cornea, vision and eyelid disorders,
- Facial paralysis,
- Goitre, pain,
- Tingling sensation,
- Loose teeth, tumours,
- Hoarse voice, speech disorders, and
- Vata disorders of the mind, head, neck, and throat.
Types of Nasya
Three kinds of Nasyas exist:
- Virechana (Purgatives)—for headaches, eye problems, throat problems, swellings, enlarged glands, parasites, tumours, skin diseases, epilepsy, rhinitis, and loss of head movement. Ingredients include the appropriate oil, herbal powders, pastes, or decoctions; and are mixed with honey and salt. Virechana is of two types: avapida (fresh herb juices) and pradhamana (blowing of herb powders through a tube).
- Brihman (Nourishing) — for Váyu headaches, migraines, loss of voice, dry nose and mouth; difficulty speaking, opening eyes, or moving the arms. Medicated oils help with premature greying and hair loss; ringing in ears, neck, shoulder, and arm disorders; dental problems, and headache on either Side of the head. It is also highly beneficial for degenerative brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s, MS, epilepsy, and mental retardation. Ingredients include medicated ghee and extracts from plants.
- Shamana (Palliatives)—for discoloured patches on the face, blue patches on the skin and for hair and eye diseases. Ingredients include medicated ghee, milk, or water.