- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Yoga for Diabetes
Increased level of sugar in blood is termed as Diabetes. Normally when the blood sugar rises there will be an immediate rush of insulin in blood from pancreas. This insulin will convert the extra glucose to glucagon which is then conserved in liver for future usage. In Diabetes this feed back mechanism fails either by inadequate production of insulin (i.e. pancreas is not carrying out its duty properly) or body does not respond properly to the circulating insulin (here the extra fats/ obesity is the responsible factor for insensitivity of insulin).
The best line of treatment for diabetes includes dietary regulation and lifestyle modification. In lifestyle modifications practicing Yoga Asanas, Pranayama for Diabetes is the best way to go for. Yoga for Diabetes will benefit a diabetic fellow in following way:
- Stimulates Insulin Production. It is a fact that yoga for Diabetes increases insulin production by stimulating the pancreas.
- Weight Loss. Yoga is the best way for healthy weight loss. As you will loose weight; all the body organs will respond to insulin in a better way and the extra glucose will be converted in glucagon.
- Reduces Blood Glucose Levels. Regular practice of Yoga for Diabetes will be very helpful in reducing blood glucose.
- Maintain Healthy Glucose Levels. Besides reducing the glucose level in blood; Yoga for Diabetes also works maintaining it with in healthy limits. It is far most important benefit of Yoga for Diabetes.
- Minimize complications: A Diabetic fellow is an easier target for the kidney disease (which might lead to kidney failure); eye diseases (which might progress to blindness) and blockage in arteries of heart. Regular practice of Yoga for Diabetes, besides maintaining normal glucose level also ensures proper blood supply and nutrition to kidneys and eyes. It also helps in maintaining the cholesterol level in healthy limits thus minimizing the chances of arterial blockage.
- Controls infection. When there is high level of sugar in blood there are increased chances of infection (as the high glucose level in blood acts as a good nutrition for bacteria and helps in their growth) and there will be delayed healing of the wounds. As yoga for Diabetes boosts the immune system, maintains blood glucose in healthy range so there will be better healing of wounds and lesser chances for infection.
Beneficial Yoga Asanas for Diabetes: Regular practice of Surya Namaskara, Balasana, Halasana, Sarvangasana, Padahastasana, Paschimottanasana, Virasana, Pavanamuktasana, Salabhasana, Dhanurasana, Naukasana, Bhujangasana, Matsyasana, and Savasana is very beneficial for Diabetesa diabetic fellow. These Asanas will stimulate the pancreas for production of the insulin and better development of the muscular tissue. When the muscular tissue will be grown properly there will be better uptake of the glucose. Besides this these Asanas will also help in losing the extra fats and minimizing the level of fatty acids and cholesterol; thus increasing the sensitivity of body tissues to circulating insulin and minimizing the complications of Diabetes.
Pranayama: Nadi Shodhana and Bhramari Pranayama relaxes the body physically as well psychologically. These will alleviate all type of stresses from the body. When you are in stress there will be increased heart rate, high blood pressure and high levels of adrenaline and cortisol (high level of these two hormones increases the risk of cardio vascular diseases and also add in weight gain). It is a proven fact that stress increases the blood sugar level in multiple folds. It is an inherent mechanism of the body to increase the level of the glucose in stress as this extra glucose is designed to be used for “fight or flight response” which is the basic response to curb stress. But these responses are practiced very less now a day and the increased level of sugar will have very bad results on the health. Besides this under stress the body tissues become less sensitive to the insulin.
So by alleviating stress these breathing exercises will help a lot in regularizing the blood glucose level.
Bandhas: Udiyan Bandha tones the abdominal organs, increases the digestive fire and removes toxins from the body. So it is helping in toning the pancreas and a well toned pancreas will produce insulin in a better way. Increase in digestive fire will improve the metabolism at cellular level also. With improved metabolism there will be better uptake of the glucose.
Kriyas: Nauli and Kunjal Kriya activate the abdominal organs. Among these while practicing Nauli all the abdominal organs are massaged and toned by the rigorous movements of Nauli. By Kunjal the digestive system is cleansed and the associated abdominal organs are stimulated.
So if you are suffering from Diabetes; it is the best for you choose the way of Ayurveda (it is best to get your dietary habits designed according to Ayurveda principles) and Yoga for Diabetes to an all round management of Diabetes