- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Sign and Symptoms of PCOD
Polycystic Ovarian Disorder (PCOD) is a complex hormonal disorder in women .Due to our changing lifestyle and diet patterns young women are facing this problem most commonly. In young age mostly women have complained of irregular periods, weight gain, acne, coarse hair and in certain cases, infertility. It's caused by a hormonal imbalance and if neglected, PCOD can lead to serious problems like infertility, heart disease and uterine cancer.
In PCOD the ovary is symmetrically enlarged and is riddled with small follicular cysts of about 0.5-1.0 cm in diameter. As many as 30 cysts may be seen at one time. PCOD is a hormone problem defined by the collection its symptoms. Every woman has female hormone as well as male hormones in her body. When the male hormones are secreted in excess, small, fluid-filled sacs called cysts are formed in ovaries. The cysts enlarge the ovaries. This hampers ovulation and the menstrual cycle. Also, excessive presence of male hormones triggers extra hair growth and weight gain.
Causes of PCOD
In PCOD ovary fails to develop a mature egg and generate only multiple immature follicles. Due to these multiple cysts hormonal imbalance occurs .Multiple causes are responsible for these multiple cysts just like Diet, stress, overweight etc.
PCOD has been prone in women who have:
- Family history of ovarian cysts.
- Overactive pituitary glands.
- Over-production of insulin and testosterone.
- Overweight women
- No physical activity
- Stressful life
- Metabolic disorders, including elevated blood fat (lipid) levels, insulin/glucose (sugar), and elevated blood pressure (hypertension).
A blood test Which measuring hormone levels in your body or an ultrasound scan of the ovaries will confirmed you have PCOD patients or not .In FSH & LH levels with ratio - These values and ratio of FSH & LH vary according to the stage of menstruation, but the ratio FSH-LH should always be < 2. In PCOD we see a ratio of around 4 and above.
Symptoms & Signs
Every women have different symptoms according to their age and their constitution. The most common symptoms and indicators of PCOD are:
- Lack of periods, or extremely irregular periods
- Early development of breast buds.
- Male fat storage patterns -- Abdominal storage, rather than standard female pattern on thighs, hips and waist.
- If married, history of infertility, despite regular, unprotected intercourse as irregular ovulation reduces the odds of pregnancy each month.
- Mid cycle pain indicating painful ovulation – due to the enlargement and blockage of the surface of the ovaries.
- Excessive hair growth on the face, chest, back
- Thinning of hair
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
Articles you should read: