- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Recommendations for ADHD
Diet and Lifestyle are the main parts of the treatment for any of the diseases. In case of ADHD disease this becomes more important to follow the right diet and lifestyle. Here are the general recommendations for the diet and lifestyle along with some of the Yoga postures, which can change the course of the disease.
Diet Recommendations for ADHD:
Now it is a well known fact that Diet plays a crucial role in ADHD. With dietary management ADHD can be managed effectively. The main aim of the dietary changes is to return back to the basics and avoiding the so called modern foods. Here some proposed Dietary changes for managing ADHD:
- Initially avoid all the diary products especially the cow’s milk. Later on when there is much improvement in the signs and symptoms of ADHD; the diary products can be re-introduced again slowly over long time period.
- No Junk Food: Avoid all types of Junk foods.
- Avoid Fruit Juice: You should not take any type of fruit juice. Instead you can take fruit. Just avoid taking it in Juice form. Avoid Aluminum exposure to them.
- Minimize Sugar intake: High sugar level in daily eating is also found to induce ADHD so minimize sugar consumption.
- Minimize Chocolate intake.
- Avoid processed meats and overly fried foods.
- Avoid Wheat Eggs Soybeans/tofu Corn products
- Avoid all Artificial colorings, Artificial flavorings (including vanillin, used in synthetic vanilla), artificial sweeteners, and preservatives
- FLAX SEED or PRIMROSE OIL. High sources of Omega oils. Borage oils and some fish oils are good as well. Very important. Mix about a spoonful a day into foods as you prepare them, or add to salad dressings, etc.
- Allowed Fruits banana honeydew papaya cantaloupe kiwi pears dates lemons pineapple grapefruit mangoes watermelon
- Allowed Vegetables bean sprouts cauliflower peas beans (all types) celery potatoes beets kale spinach broccoli lentils squash Brussels sprouts lettuce sweet corn cabbage mushrooms sweet potato carrots onions zucchini
In Short Just eat foods that Nature has provided to us.
Lifestyle Recommendations for ADHD:
- Show a lot of affection to your child: Children need to hear that they're loved. Focusing only on the negative aspects will harm your relationship with him and affect his self-confidence and self-esteem which will worsen the ADHD symptoms.
- Look for behaviors for which you can compliment your child regularly.
- Be patient. Be patient and calm when dealing with your child, even when he is out of control. If you're calm, your child will also be calm in a short time.
- Be practical: you should be realistic in your expectations for improvement — both your own and your child's.
- Take time to enjoy your child: accept your child as he is. This is the best way to bring about improvements. Simply spend time together. Give your child more positive than negative attention every day.
- Keep a regular schedule. Write down the schedule of whole day on a big calendar. Children with ADHD take time accepting and adjusting to change so avoid sudden changes.
- Make sure your child is rested. Fatigue worsens the symptoms of ADHD so you should be aware that your child is not overtired.
- Identify difficult situations. Avoid situations that are difficult for your child, such as sitting through long presentations.
- Plan going out to discipline the child: For children with ADHD, a timeout from social stimulation will be very effective. Timeouts should be brief, but long enough for your child to regain control.
- Work on organization. Help your child organize and maintain a daily assignment notebook and be sure your child has a quiet place to study. Store the objects in his room in clearly marked spaces. Keep his environment organized.
- Find ways to improve his self-esteem and sense of discipline. Don’t force children into activities that are beyond their abilities. A series of small frequent successes, rather than large infrequent ones, help to build self-esteem.
- Use simple words and demonstrate when giving your child directions. Speak slowly and quietly and be very specific and concrete. Give one direction at a time. Make eye contact with the child before and while you're giving directions.
- Take a break yourself and be cool and calm. If you're exhausted and stressed, you cannot be a good parent and cannot help your child properly.
- Breathing: Breathing becomes shallow and rapid when there are some ups and downs on psychological level which is often felt by a fellow with ADHD. Slow, deep breathing from the belly will help more focused and less anxious. Guide your child for slow and deep breathing
- Sleep: Sleep deprivation makes ADHD symptoms worse and will interfere with every aspect of life. There are many strategies for sleep. Avoid stimulating activities such as TV or exercise for at least two hours before bedtime. Practice Savasana just before going to bed. Eat a small snack which includes protein such as a glass of warm milk or cheese and crackers before going to bed. Take a warm quiet bath. Play a tape of music or sounds of nature.
- Enjoy: Doing enjoyable things and thinking enjoyable thoughts is good medicine for the brain. Try it! When you think positive, happy thoughts your brain produces serotonin; a feel good neurotransmitter. When you think negative thoughts brain produces adrenaline, the stress hormone. Doing an activity that you enjoy acts as a calming stimulus for the brain.
Yoga Recommendations for ADHD:
Following Yogasanas and Pranayama will benefit a lot in ADHD symptoms:
- Surya Namaskar
- Baddha Konasana
- Bharamari Pranayama
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
- Chandra Bhedana Pranayama