- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Recommendation for Hypotension
When there are no sign and symptoms of hypotension or the signs are too mild like brief episodes of dizziness when standing; there is no need of medical intervention. The treatment will be according to the etiologic factor. If there is no known causative factor then the line of treatment is directed towards raising the blood pressure and reducing the signs and symptoms.
Diet Recommendations for Hypotension:
- Take a healthy diet. You should take a wholesome diet which fulfills all the requirements of the body for energy and essential nutrients. You should have foods rich in protein, iron, copper, folic acid, vitamin B12, vitamin C. Raw materials which are indispensable for hematopoiesis include egg yolk, lean meat, milk, fish, shrimp, soybean, tofu, fresh vegetable and fruit.
- Eat small, frequent meals. To prevent blood pressure from dropping sharply after meals, eat small portions several times a day
- Use more salt. It is generally recommended that salt intake should be minimized to keep the heart and the blood vessels well working as Sodium increases the blood pressure dramatically. But in low blood pressure increasing the use of salt can prove therapeutic. Even though you should consult your physician to be sure about the quantity of salt you should increase.
- Be well hydrated: No doubt being well hydrated benefits everyone; it is especially beneficial for a fellow with low blood pressure. It will increase blood volume and help prevent dehydration, both of which are important in treating hypotension.
- Avoid alcohol drinking.
- Increases Caffeine intake: Caffeine containing drinks such as coffee, tea and soda stimulates adrenal gland and thus temporarily raise the blood pressure. So when you are having low blood pressure; you should take some caffeine drink to normalize the blood pressure.
- Foods that can stimulate blood circulation is helpful, like ginger, spicy foods, vinegar, sugar, pepper, hot pepper, beer, grape wine and so on.
Lifestyle Recommendations for Hypotension:
- Avoid heavy lifting.
- Avoid straining while on the toilet.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to hot water, such as hot showers and spas.
- Wear compression stockings. These are the same elastic stockings commonly used to relieve pain and swelling of varicose veins. These will help reducing the pooling of blood in the legs.
- Avoiding situations that trigger symptoms, such as standing for long periods, unpleasant, upsetting, or scary situations.
- Change body postures slowly: dizziness and lightheadedness can be minimized by moving slowly from prone to standing position. While getting out of the bed in morning breathe deeply for a few minutes and then slowly sit up before standing.
- Avoid bending at the waist. If you drop something on the floor, squat with your knees to pick up it.
- While sleeping keep the head end of the bed slightly elevated. It will minimize the effect of gravity.
- If you are having the symptoms of low blood pressure while standing; cross your thighs in a scissors fashion and squeeze, or put one foot on a chair and lean as far forward as possible. It will encourage blood to flow from legs to heart.
- Take preventive measure when you are feeling about to faint. For example, sit down and put your head between your knees or lie down; it will help raise blood pressure.
Yoga Recommendations for Hypotension:
Following Yoga Asanas and Pranayama are very beneficial in maintaining the blood pressure in healthy limits:
- Surya Namaskar
- Urdhva Mukha Swanasana
- Ardha Halasana
- Surya Bhedana Pranayama
- Nadi SHodhana Pranayama.
- Ujjayi Pranayama
Articles you should read: