- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Recommendation for Hyperthyroidism
Metabolism is directly affected by this disease, so there should be plenty of diet regulations to control and manage this condition. Yoga too have a great importance on the Yoga, for controlling the pace of metabolism of the body. Here are the Yoga and diet guidelines for patients of hyperthyroidism.
Recommended Diet for Hyperthyroidism:
- Eat plenty of the following foods: broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, peaches, pears, rutabagas, soybeans, spinach, and turnips. These help to suppress thyroid hormone production. For best effect, eat them raw.
- Berries. Having hyperthyroidism significantly weakens the immune system. Foods rich in antioxidants help boost the immune system and repair injured cells. Berries like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are rich in antioxidants like vitamin C and phytochemicals that helps the body become more resistant to sickness and infections.
- Protein-rich foods. One of the most serious symptoms of hyperthyroidism is weight loss. Weight loss in hyperthyroidism is not just fat loss, it’s also muscle loss. You should eat proteins in adequate quantity to help fight muscle loss. Meat and poultry are excellent sources of protein. Vegetarians can get their protein boost from beans and nuts. Tofu is even better because not only does it provide a lot of protein, it also suppresses thyroid hormone production and absorption.
- Dairy and other calcium rich foods. One of the complications of hyperthyroidism is osteoporosis, a condition where the bones become brittle and break easily. Eating calcium rich foods like milk, cheese and yogurt can help strengthen your bones because of their high levels of calcium. Increasing your intake of calcium also has an added bonus of helping lower your thyroid hormone levels.
- Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin D. Heart problems are also serious complications of untreated hyperthyroidism. In addition to increasing calcium intake, osteoporosis can be prevented by eating foods rich in vitamin D. Vitamin D helps in the absorption of calcium in the bones. The body doesn’t produce vitamin D so you have to get it from foods such as salmon, eggs, and mushrooms. Omega-3 fatty acids have been proven to help prevent heart disease. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in abundance in fishes like salmon, mackerel, and herring and it can be also found in walnuts, olive oil and flaxseed oil.
Yoga Recommendation for Hyperthyroidism:
As we have talked above because of hyperthyroidism bones, heart and muscles are severely affected. The recommended Yoga poses and Pranayamas are aimed to keep these systems working properly and to minimize their decay due to high level of thyroid hormones.
- Surya Namaskar
- Ardha Halasana
- Anuloma Pranayama
- Viloma Pranayama
- Bhramari Pranayama
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama