- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Ayurvedic Treatment for Muscular Dystrophy
Treatment of Muscular Dystrophy as per Modern health Sciences:
There is currently no cure for MD; so the main aim of treatment is to improve the quality of life of the fellow.
Research into gene therapy and stem cell therapy might provide some effective strategy to stop the progression of Muscular Dystrophy. Present clinical care is designed to prevent or reduce deformities in the joints and spine and maintain mobility as long as possible. Treatment includes physical therapy, respiratory therapy, speech therapy, orthopedic appliances used for support, and corrective orthopedic surgery to release contractures and correct curvature of the spine.
- Gentle exercise is recommended and physiotherapy can help to prevent the development of contractures (thickening and scarring of muscle and connective tissue resulting in deformity of a joint).
- Mobility and independence of the fellow can be maintained by use of electric wheelchairs, canes and walkers.
- In the latter stages of some types of MD, including, respiratory problems may develop. For this reason, it is recommended that any chest infections are treated immediately and; people with MD and those around them should not smoke.
- In severe cases, assisted ventilation may be required. A nasal tube or face mask may be used but eventually a tracheostomy may be considered for some people. (A tracheostomy is a surgical operation in which a hole is made into the trachea through the neck to relieve obstruction to breathing.)
- Some fellows suffering from Muscular Dystrophy might suffer from Scoliosis (curvature of the spine). Here surgery might be required to sorrect the curvature of back bone.
Drug therapy includes
- Corticosteroids are prescribed to slow muscle degeneration;
- Anticonvulsants are useful to control seizures and hypertonic muscles
- Muscle spasm can relieved by muscle relaxants.
- Immunosuppressant therapy is sometimes used for delaying damage to dying muscle cells.
- Antibiotics are given to fight respiratory infections and; vaccinations for pneumonia and influenza are often recommended to prevent respiratory complications. Some patients may also need assisted ventilation to treat respiratory muscle weakness and a pacemaker for cardiac abnormalities.
- Calcium, magnesium and additional vitamin D might be beneficial for support of muscle and skeletal weakness.
- Coenzyme Q or (coQ10) is a natural compound made by the body and found in most foods which improves the use of oxygen at the cellular level, particularly in muscle tissue, and is being studied as a treatment for a number of disorders including muscular dystrophy.
Possible treatment of Muscular Dystrophy in Ayurveda:
Ayurveda always recommends for working on the root cause of the health problem. In Muscular Dystrophy; the root cause of the health problem is defect in the genetic configuration of the fellow. So here correction of the genetic configuration should be the proper treatment but there is no way to change the genetic configuration of a fellow. So what we can do is minimizing the severity of the problem, helping in muscle growth and improving quality of life of the concerned fellow. Accordingly the line of treatment will be:
- Ensuring proper nutrition and growth of the muscles.
- Maintaining a good range of movement for all the joints.
- Proper nutrition to the body as a whole.
Read following Aericles to know More About Ayurvedic Medicines; Diet, Lifestyle and Yoga Recommendations for Muscular Dystrophy