- Ayurvedic Diet
- Ayurveda Treatment
- Women Health
- Kid Health
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hypothyroidism
Hypothyroidism is a condition of the low metabolic rate, where body starts storing and accumulating the taken foods. Hormones for thyroid function control are secreted by the master gland- Pituitary which works in association with the hypothalamus (the part of the brain, which is responsible for the control on the emotional ups and downs), so there is a deep relation of the level of stress and the level of hormones.
Treatment according to modern health science:
The purpose of treatment is to replace the thyroid hormone that is lacking. Levothyroxine is the most commonly used medication.
Lifelong therapy is required unless you have a condition called transient viral thyroiditis.
You must continue taking your medication even when your symptoms go away. When starting your medication, your doctor may check your hormone levels every 2 - 3 months. After that, your thyroid hormone levels should be monitored at least every year.
Important things to remember when you are taking thyroid hormone are:
- Do NOT stop taking the medication when you feel better. Continue taking the medication exactly as directed by your doctor.
- If you change brands of thyroid medicine, let your doctor know. Your levels may need to be checked.
- Some dietary changes can change the way your body absorbs the thyroid medicine. Talk with your doctor if you are eating a lot of soy products or are on a high-fiber diet.
- Thyroid medicine works best on an empty stomach and when taken 1 hour before any other medications.
- Do NOT take thyroid hormone with fiber supplements, calcium, iron, multivitamins, aluminum hydroxide antacids, colestipol, or medicines that bind bile acids.
After you start taking replacement therapy, tell your doctor if you have any symptoms of increased thyroid activity (hyperthyroidism) such as:
- Rapid weight loss
- Restlessness or shakiness
People treated with too much thyroid hormone are at risk for angina or heart attack, as well as osteoporosis (thinning of the bones).
Ayurvedic treatment for Hypothyroidism
Ayurvedic treatment of the Hypothyroidism is in Ayurveda is not described directly, but according to the involved Doshas and condition, this can be managed with Ayurveda. But we strongly recommend continuing with the treatment you are taking from modern medicines.
If you are recently diagnosed for the problem and have not started any modern medicines- contact us through online Consultation page with all your reports so that we will be able to assist you in a better way.